9:30 am – 4:00 pm: The Stowe Center will open its doors free of charge in honor of Martin Luther King Day. To honor Dr. King’s legacy, the event will focus on Non-Violent Resistance to Inequality. At Noon, join us in a public bell ringing, “Let Freedom Ring: Choose Non-Violence,” in collaboration with Atlanta’s King Center. Free tours will be offered all day. Make yourself comfortable in Stowe’s kitchen where you can share social justice issues important to you and ways you can make change.You’ll be an active participant in this new tour and we want your feedback on our ongoing tour redesign. Be sure to share your thoughts with us. In our Visitor Center you’ll find historic documents showcasing non-violent resistance movements from the antebellum era to the present day. Explore issues of slavery, women’s rights, Jim Crow laws and more through petitions, speeches and songs. What social justice issues are you passionate about? Share your own ideas for positive change on our “Talk Back” board and take home a resource list to help you further the non-violent resistance of historic figures such as Harriet Beecher Stowe and Martin Luther King. The whole family will enjoy craft activities in the Visitor Center including making a peace wreath. Hartford, CT. Free.
9:30 am – 5:00 pm: Martin Luther King Jr. Day! Words are powerful. Join us in celebrating the life of the man who spoke the words “I have a dream…” Write your own words of inspiration and add them to our banner of hopes and dreams.
10:00 am – 12:00pm: Open Jump. Bristol, CT.
10:00 am – 3:00pm: As a complement to the current exhibit, It’s a Nano World, The New Children’s Museum will host The Winter of Nano, five interactive days during school vacations. Activities visitors will experience during the Winter of Nano include:
- Creating ultra-thin layers of metal and graphite
- Finding out why special tools are needed for nanoscale science
- Taking a closer look at your own DNA
- Learning which of the museum’s animal residents has an unusual way to use nano-sized adaptations
- Checking out the super weird properties of sand
- Getting messy with nano chemistry
- Attendees will have a chance to meet professional scientists, who will share the ways that their work deals with the super-small.
10:00 am – 4:00 pm: Winter Wonderland Looking for some fun winter activities? Visit the Nature Center for a guided hike through the woods. Visit our bear cave and learn about our ‘Super Hibernators’. See whose tracks we can find around the Nature Center and in the woods. Make a winter animal craft. Hike and crafts free with admission to the Nature Center. Guided hikes at 11 am, 1 pm & 3 pm and crafts all day. Canton, CT
10:00 am – 5:00 pm: Martin Luther King Jr. Community Day: Celebrate the powerful message of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with a day of big dreams, self-expression, and powerful messages. This free, family-friendly event is a perfect opportunity for people of all ages to connect with the transformative power of art and the spoken and written word. Hartford, CT. Free.
The day’s schedule of events is below:
- All Day: Make a Dream Journal Create and decorate your own dream journal to keep track of your ideas, hopes, goals, and dreams. Sketch & Send a Postcard Sketch an artwork that makes you feel happy, calm, or joyful. Then, mail your sketch to a friend or family member. Write Magnetic Poetry Create your own poetry using magnetic poetry boards. Words of Wisdom with Natasha Miles Join teaching artist Natasha Miles and create a personal symbol inspired by the symbols of different cultures.
- 10:00 am – 4:00 pm: Ice Cream for a Dream Share your biggest dreams with Dream Chaser #1 from the Dream Support Network and receive a free ice cream! Martin Luther King, Jr. I Have a Dream Speech. Listen to the original footage of MLK’s powerful speech.
- 11:00 am, 1:00 pm & 3:00 pm: Explore meaningful messages in art through a docent guided tour of our American Art collection.
- 11:00 am: Poetry, Drum, and Dance Showcase
- 11:30 am: Interactive Family Workshops
- 12:00 pm: Iron Poet Challenge
- 11:00 am – 3:00 pm: Mixed Media Performances Stop by the stage in Morgan Great Hall to see how spoken word poetry, drums, dance, and music work together to send a powerful message through performance.
- 1:00 pm: Collaboration Showcase
- 2:00 pm: Lift Every Voice and Sing Gospel Choir.
- 2:00 – 3:00 pm: Book Crossing with the Amistad Center’s Teen Advisory Group Meet the Amistad Center for Art & Culture‘s Teen Advisory Group (TAG), and participate in a book-sharing activity.
- 2:30 pm: Open Mic (Sign up begins at 2pm)
- 4:00 pm: Film – Ice Cream for a Dream Documentary Learn more about Ice Cream for a Dream with this mini documentary and meet Dream Chaser #1.
10:00 am – 5:00 pm: Everyone pays kids’ prices! School may be out, but we are open with a special discount: everyone pays kids’ price for General Admission! That means kids and adults can visit for $14.95 each. No special coupon is required. Cannot be combined with any other offers; no double discounts. Hartford, CT.
11:00 am – 1:00 pm: Vacation Day: Taste around the World! Today we will enjoy some tastes from around the world, including Chinese Wontons and Orange Chicken, Mexican Taquitos, and Italian Manicotti. Join us on our international adventure! Ages 6 and up. $25 per child. Newington, CT.
11:00 am – 2:00 pm: Winter Carnival fun abounds at Ski Sundown! Join us for special treats, activities and entertainment, celebrating our favorite season – Winter! Featuring Valentine the Clown, face painting, balloon animals, free popcorn and cotton candy, AND a Frozen Sing-Along with prizes at 1:15pm! New Hartford, CT. Free.
1:30pm – 7:00 pm: Open Jump. Bristol, CT.